Skip to main content

Drugs

I'm pretty proud of myself. At one point, in 2009, when I was first diagnosed with cancer, I was on 20 (like 2-0 as in TWENTY) medications. As of this morning, I officially take 3 - two of which are because I no longer have a thyroid so those will never go away. I'm workin on that last one... in July I had a pretty bad mental breakdown -ish where I just couldn't do life the way it was anymore. I had gone sober on New Year's Day, making that decision while nursing a massive hangover. Sobriety brought a small jewelry business as well as mental clarity which led to July. There had to be more to life than that. 

I am currently seeing 2 counselors - one with the hubs & one solo. My eyes have been opened! I have co-dependency issues among other things but when you know better you do better! My life & my view of it has changed exponentially... for the better. It's so hard but it's for the better. Looking at yourself closely is never easy but I can say with certainty that I would rather see myself now, exactly as I am, than who I saw 3 months ago - a person who was unaware of herself, sacrificing herself day in & day out for everyone else's happiness. I was miserable. I just couldn't do it anymore. 

Along this journey, I decided to wean off meds I didn't really need & start taking healthier steps to managing my mental health & body. And I'm down to 3 medications. I'm pretty proud of myself. I killed off my pride in myself as an adult because I was always taught humility is best & pride is bad. Now I know: Being proud of yourself is not bad at all, but quite healthy! Who knew?! I didn't! Humility, to me, is not thinking you are better than you are but also, most importantly, not better than anyone else. We are all just humans passing through but dang it! I'm no longer letting that false sense of humilty & pride get in the way anymore! I AM PROUD OF MYSELF DAMMIT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful to NOT be in the Army! (part 1)

I haven't blogged in 4EVER b/c someone has been sick in this house for the last 10 days and right now, it's me. Joy. Anywho, Emily wants me to write 100 things about her but I can't think that hard this morning...although I will do 1. She farts ALL THE TIME! and 2. She really is SUPER DUPER funny! I'll do the rest later. So it's the most wonderful time of the year and I've already done 80% of my shopping throughout the year so, I'm totally ahead of the game and liking it. People are scrambling around trying to find what they're looking for or trying to decide WHAT they're looking for while I am smuggly enjoying browzin! I am always left with the kids stocking stuffers. I try to keep those gifts as random as possible (more fun that way; for me, not necessarily for them). And this time of year always reminds me of my experience in the Army... I remember the BEST christmas-time I ever had...I was in the Army and was desperately trying to get out. I knew

It Comes From Within

So I went to the dentist AGAIN today and read a magazine in the waiting room. There was an article about a couple who had grown apart over the years and didn't know how it happened. The woman was repeatedly telling her husband that she felt unimportant . She explained how she never did anything for herself and hadn't done some things that she enjoyed doing since before her and her husband were married. She asked her kids what mommy did the most and they said, "the laundry." (not exactly a legacy!) Then the woman went on to explain how she blamed her husband for her unhappiness. The expert gave a detailed response, but the one thing she said that really stood out to me was how the woman was unhappy because the woman was unhappy ... it really didn't have anything to do with him. She no longer did the things she had liked to do. What did she expect?! When her and her husband were dating she was spontaneous and exciting and the two of them explored things together. No

Em

1. is MY step-daughter. 2. misses her Mommy. 3. is clumsy. 4. loves plain Hershey's chocolate. 5. always smells good. 6. likes post earrings the best. 7. has like 3 dressers & a built-in closet that are full. 8. is addicted to the Sims. 9. is a meat & potatoes girl. 10. can't stay in the lines when painting her nails. 11. doesn't really like condiments. 12. is too cute. 13. is gonna have to beat boys off with a stick. 14. is non-confrontational. 15. is Hilarious! 16. gets good grades. 17. collects Nancy Drew books. 18. likes to watch History channel shows with me. 19. still likes to read for fun. 20. asked for a Webkin for Easter. 21. likes hummus, which surprises me. 22. rarely cries (I can count on 1 hand the things she's cried about) 23. doesn't like being an unaccompanied minor. 24. can get tan and I'm jealous. 25. doesn't sing out loud & she should. 26. is a good big sister. 27. isn't interested in sports. 28. has a passport. 29. is kind