Skip to main content

Day 1. Homework: Set with myself. Session 1 of 2. Length: 1 hour

 At first, I sat there feeling distracted by the roofers next door and the traffic of the city. I constantly wondered if I was "doing it right." It feels wrong, like a waste of time. I'm trusting that this is what I need but I'm not sure how this is gonna play out. I know that "quiet time" feels like something my soul has been needing so I've been doing a tiny bit, here and there. Nothing like the 2 hours a day that's been assigned. I don't think one can "dig deep" in just 5 minutes a day of sitting with oneself. Maybe the longer lengths of time was what I was missing. I don't know. I do know that I'm scared to do it, scared I'll "fail" or not "do it good enough" or that it simply won't work. Apparently, this time is a way of becoming self aware, processing the suffering I have endured, which ultimately leads to my "North Star" which is my life's purpose, meaning and fulfillment. Sounds glorious but my impatience is wanting that knowledge now. I have always looked for the smarter-not-harder way. If there was a shortcut, I took it. If there was an easier way, I did it. If I could avoid the difficult, I did. And I worked hard until I succeeded, or simply just quit. There is no in between for me. I know some of that was a trauma response and a coping mechanism but when do those things become a problem? Anywho, during the "Sitting with Myself," I am not to do anything else but just actively sit there. I looked at the clock for the first time and only 5 minutes had lapsed. Ugh. Then 12 minutes had gone by. Then 20. And on and on it went. I did finally set the timer because I started to focus on if I should or shouldn't look at the clock. Eventually, after 35 minutes had passed, I set the timer. I started to imagine what the title of my New York Times Best Seller would be. Huh? I mean, people tell me all the time that I'm an excellent, entertaining writer but I never had the ambition or desire to write a book. Curiouser and curiouser. Oh, and the titles were shocking, of course, like the book that just came out titled "I'm Glad My Mom Died." And then eventually I started going over my business to-do list. First, I need to get orders out. Second, I need to post an update on social media, no, on my website. Yes, that's better. One of my goals is to transition more to my website than social media. I want people to interact with me there and not mostly on Facebook. Social media, for me, is a social validation issue. I am constantly looking for approval and praise. I count the likes, shares, comments and I "typically reply within the hour," or so the app informs me. That eventually leads to endless scrolling for long periods of time and a constant changing of my inner compass or something like that. Like maybe today I should change my tactics or maybe if I just posted more or maybe maybe maybe. It's like a constant battle of expectations dashed, second guessing myself, ultimately leading to not feeling good enough due to the comparisons that take over. I need a break. I often look over my business and decide what isn't feeling the greatest and change it. Social media isn't feeling the greatest right now so I'm going to post 1-2 times a day, scheduled in advance, and hope and pray that the orders still come in on my website. It feels very dramatic like this could make or break my business but I've felt this way before about things and they worked out. So, I'm going to do it afraid anyway. Ok, and plus, I am supposed to also be on a "Pleasure Fast" anyway so scrolling social media endlessly, although it starts out giving me pleasure, eventually, closing the app feeling guilt, shame, confusion, and an all around negative vibe. I just can't. So, I will be a little absent on Facebook for awhile seeking inner validation which scares the fucking shit out of me. What if I don't like what I see? What if this tanks my small business? 

So, my hour was spent listening to distracting sounds, imaging weird visions of the future author in me and my small business to-do and check lists. Maybe I am supposed to do the 2 hours in one sitting. Maybe the second hour is when all the amazing revelations happen. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful to NOT be in the Army! (part 1)

I haven't blogged in 4EVER b/c someone has been sick in this house for the last 10 days and right now, it's me. Joy. Anywho, Emily wants me to write 100 things about her but I can't think that hard this morning...although I will do 1. She farts ALL THE TIME! and 2. She really is SUPER DUPER funny! I'll do the rest later. So it's the most wonderful time of the year and I've already done 80% of my shopping throughout the year so, I'm totally ahead of the game and liking it. People are scrambling around trying to find what they're looking for or trying to decide WHAT they're looking for while I am smuggly enjoying browzin! I am always left with the kids stocking stuffers. I try to keep those gifts as random as possible (more fun that way; for me, not necessarily for them). And this time of year always reminds me of my experience in the Army... I remember the BEST christmas-time I ever had...I was in the Army and was desperately trying to get out. I knew

It Comes From Within

So I went to the dentist AGAIN today and read a magazine in the waiting room. There was an article about a couple who had grown apart over the years and didn't know how it happened. The woman was repeatedly telling her husband that she felt unimportant . She explained how she never did anything for herself and hadn't done some things that she enjoyed doing since before her and her husband were married. She asked her kids what mommy did the most and they said, "the laundry." (not exactly a legacy!) Then the woman went on to explain how she blamed her husband for her unhappiness. The expert gave a detailed response, but the one thing she said that really stood out to me was how the woman was unhappy because the woman was unhappy ... it really didn't have anything to do with him. She no longer did the things she had liked to do. What did she expect?! When her and her husband were dating she was spontaneous and exciting and the two of them explored things together. No

Em

1. is MY step-daughter. 2. misses her Mommy. 3. is clumsy. 4. loves plain Hershey's chocolate. 5. always smells good. 6. likes post earrings the best. 7. has like 3 dressers & a built-in closet that are full. 8. is addicted to the Sims. 9. is a meat & potatoes girl. 10. can't stay in the lines when painting her nails. 11. doesn't really like condiments. 12. is too cute. 13. is gonna have to beat boys off with a stick. 14. is non-confrontational. 15. is Hilarious! 16. gets good grades. 17. collects Nancy Drew books. 18. likes to watch History channel shows with me. 19. still likes to read for fun. 20. asked for a Webkin for Easter. 21. likes hummus, which surprises me. 22. rarely cries (I can count on 1 hand the things she's cried about) 23. doesn't like being an unaccompanied minor. 24. can get tan and I'm jealous. 25. doesn't sing out loud & she should. 26. is a good big sister. 27. isn't interested in sports. 28. has a passport. 29. is kind