Skip to main content

Day 2: Sitting with Myself. Length: 2 hours. Attention: Sexual Assault.

Today I decided to do the 2 hours together. I'm not sure that was super helpful. I feel like I just slept the last half hour/45 minutes anyway... even snoring/snorting myself awake a couple times.  I did take Xanax and hemp oil after the first hour so maybe that had something to do with it. So the first hour was more productive for sure.

What kept drawing my attention was the sexual assault I endured at 12 or 13 years old... I know for sure that by 8th grade it had already happened because the bullying about it started during that school year. I was at the house party of an older male friend with my childhood best friend and I believe (I will just state the facts as I remember, from my point of view) we were the only 2 girls there. We were with Brian S, Brian H, Steve S, Cole G and I think that was it. We were playing some sort of game in the living room that turned into a drinking game possibly even a strip poker type of situation. There are flashes of memory after that: the hall way, the back bedroom with the hall light shining through the open door, people around me and whispering in the dark. I don't remember feeling any pain at that time. They were talking to each other. And then nothing else until I woke up in the daylight, alone, and I just knew something wasn't right down there and that I had to have been drugged. I went out into the hall and everything was very quiet. I remember finding my best friend in the bedroom, next to the one I was in, with one of the guys in the twin bed. I went to the bathroom and I remember some amount of pain when urinating. I don't remember if I showered there or when I got home (important later when questioned at the police station). After that there was conversation with other guys about my best friend who wasn't awake yet. The conversation or my investigation led to the knowledge that she was urinated on my one or more of the guys while in the bed. The overall conversation from the guys was that everything that happened was no big deal, that I was overreacting and that we wanted it.

Next thing I remember is being at our small town police department with my mom. I remember feeling scared sitting in the office before the chief of police came in. But mostly I felt sure I would get the help I needed and they all would be punished. Instead, the chief blamed me for all of it, asking me what did I expect getting drunk with a bunch of guys? He even went so far as to say if I was running down the street naked and got raped that I deserved it. He told me there was no proof anyway since I foolishly washed all the evidence away. I immediately felt dirty. I felt ashamed that I allowed this to happen to me. I immediately felt unsafe by this man of authority. I immediately felt like I couldn't be trusted by them becasue I myself was untrustworthy. I felt alone. I felt angry. But eventually I did feel like I deserved it. Like I wasn't worthy of good things, good feelings, good relationships, good experiences because I myself wasn't good. I was damaged. Broken. Unloveable. After that, when bad things happened, I wasn't surprised. I kind of expected it because that's what I deserved anyway. 

Maybe that's when the self-sabotaging began I don't know but I do know that everything changed after that trip to the police station.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thankful to NOT be in the Army! (part 1)

I haven't blogged in 4EVER b/c someone has been sick in this house for the last 10 days and right now, it's me. Joy. Anywho, Emily wants me to write 100 things about her but I can't think that hard this morning...although I will do 1. She farts ALL THE TIME! and 2. She really is SUPER DUPER funny! I'll do the rest later. So it's the most wonderful time of the year and I've already done 80% of my shopping throughout the year so, I'm totally ahead of the game and liking it. People are scrambling around trying to find what they're looking for or trying to decide WHAT they're looking for while I am smuggly enjoying browzin! I am always left with the kids stocking stuffers. I try to keep those gifts as random as possible (more fun that way; for me, not necessarily for them). And this time of year always reminds me of my experience in the Army... I remember the BEST christmas-time I ever had...I was in the Army and was desperately trying to get out. I knew

It Comes From Within

So I went to the dentist AGAIN today and read a magazine in the waiting room. There was an article about a couple who had grown apart over the years and didn't know how it happened. The woman was repeatedly telling her husband that she felt unimportant . She explained how she never did anything for herself and hadn't done some things that she enjoyed doing since before her and her husband were married. She asked her kids what mommy did the most and they said, "the laundry." (not exactly a legacy!) Then the woman went on to explain how she blamed her husband for her unhappiness. The expert gave a detailed response, but the one thing she said that really stood out to me was how the woman was unhappy because the woman was unhappy ... it really didn't have anything to do with him. She no longer did the things she had liked to do. What did she expect?! When her and her husband were dating she was spontaneous and exciting and the two of them explored things together. No

Em

1. is MY step-daughter. 2. misses her Mommy. 3. is clumsy. 4. loves plain Hershey's chocolate. 5. always smells good. 6. likes post earrings the best. 7. has like 3 dressers & a built-in closet that are full. 8. is addicted to the Sims. 9. is a meat & potatoes girl. 10. can't stay in the lines when painting her nails. 11. doesn't really like condiments. 12. is too cute. 13. is gonna have to beat boys off with a stick. 14. is non-confrontational. 15. is Hilarious! 16. gets good grades. 17. collects Nancy Drew books. 18. likes to watch History channel shows with me. 19. still likes to read for fun. 20. asked for a Webkin for Easter. 21. likes hummus, which surprises me. 22. rarely cries (I can count on 1 hand the things she's cried about) 23. doesn't like being an unaccompanied minor. 24. can get tan and I'm jealous. 25. doesn't sing out loud & she should. 26. is a good big sister. 27. isn't interested in sports. 28. has a passport. 29. is kind